- Building a better patient journey:The benefits of AI in healthcareArtificial Intelligence, in varying forms and degrees, has begun to appear in a wide spectrum of technologies, from the phones we use to communicate to the supply chains that bring goods to market. It is transforming the way we interact, consume information, and obtain goods and services. health care is no exception. in health care, the impact of AI, through natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML), is transforming care delivery. As is the case in other industries, it is expected that these technologies will continue to advance at a rapid pace over the next several years.While NLP and ML are already being used in health care, they will become increasingly important for their potential to:
- Improve provider and clinician productivity and quality of care
- Enhance patient engagement in their own care and streamline patient access to care
- Accelerate the speed and reduce the cost to develop new pharmaceutical treatments
- Personalize medical treatments by leveraging analytics to mine significant, previously untapped stores of non-codified clinical data
AI-powered diagnostics use the patient's unique history as a baseline against which small deviation flag a possible health condition in need of further investigation and treatment. In the short term, AI is initially likely to be adopted as an aid, rather than replacement, for human physicians.
AI will help to augment physicians diagnoses, and in the process, provide valuable insights for the AI to learn from. The continuous interaction between human physicians and the AI-models will enhance the accuracy of the systems. Over time, confidence in these systems will eventually delegate the task entirely for the AI system to operate autonomously.
Patient-facing AI: improving experience, costs, and outcomes
Patient self-service is a model that emphasizes choice and convenience by allowing appointments to rapidly and easily complete tasks such as scheduling appointments, paying bills and filling out or updating forms - all at their own convenience.
Intelligent self-service leverages ML and NLP by analyzing information, customizing patient experiences, and expediting processes to further increase convenience and efficiency.
Patient self-service can also help streamline provider operations by routing patients straight to an appointment or directing them to visit the registration desk, based upon predefined rules, thereby allowing the registration team to focus on a select group of patients who have a greater need for their value-added services.